Sunday, August 26, 2012

NUTRITIONAL KETOSIS - WEEK 7 RESULTS

You might remember that I had a little setback last week.  I decided to stick with it, and start using coconut and MCT oil more regularly.  I did not make any fat bombs, but I did have the oil every day.  I'm not sure if it was this that turned the tide, but the tide definitely turned, and I have made progress this week.

It's been seven weeks since I started my experiment with nutritional ketosis.  I am eating higher fat, lower protein and very low carb.  Here are my charts:



In summary, in the past 7 weeks:
I lost 1/2" around my neck
I lost 3/8" around my bicep
I lost 1/4" around my bust
I lost 1-3/8" around my midriff
I lost 2-3/4" around my waist
I lost 1-3/4" around my navel
I lost 1-5/8" around my hips
I lost 1/2" around my thigh
I lost 3/8" around the calf

I lost 8 pounds on the scale (lost 9.5 pounds of body fat and gained 1.5 pounds of lean mass).
I went down 4.7 percentage points on my body fat.
I went down 0.037 points on my waist-to-hip ratio.

I tracked my food every day this week.  If you want to know exactly what I am eating, look here, and then you can click the page numbers at the bottom to see each individual day.

Here are the averages of what I ate this past week:

1456 calories
128.7g fat (79.6%)
51.2g protein (14.1%)
23.2g carbs (6.4%)

My goal was a little higher, and I did not intentionally eat less:

1539 calories
135g fat (79%)
54g protein (14%)
27g carbs (7%)

I stopped testing my blood ketones and glucose because the results are always the same and the strips are expensive.  After a few weeks go by, I'll test again for good measure.  If something starts going wrong, I will test sooner, but for now, I don't see a reason to test.

At this point, it looks like I'm going to eat this way from now on, so I'm not calling it an experiment anymore.  I will continue to post my results once a week until I hit my goal.
This is my goal:
136 pounds scale weight
40.8 pounds body fat (30%)
95.2 pounds lean mass (70%)
11.875" neck
28" waist
39.125" hips
0.716 waist-to-hip ratio
To get there, I need to lose 4.5 pounds of body fat, gain 1.1 pounds of lean mass and lose 2" around my waist.



13 comments:

  1. You keep this up and your pretty dress wont fit anymore!! LOL
    Wonderful for you. So pleased for you!
    Hugs Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! I hope you are right, but I will miss wearing that dress. I wore one yesterday to the WordPress conference that I bought when I weighed 10-15 pounds more than I do now, and I was swimming in it. I might even take it in... Should I just baste it? :0)

      Delete
  2. Baste so you dont have to resew later! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you incorporating your MCT oil? Do you add it to something or just take it on a spoon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use MCT oil as part of my oil cocktail every morning. When I have salad, I also use it as part of my dressing. Have you tried MCT oil yet?

      Delete
    2. I have only used it by adding it to protein smoothies. What is an oil cocktail?

      Delete
    3. If you look at my menu posted above, you will see the ingredients. I drink one every morning, to add fat to my diet.

      Click where it says look here to see menu.

      Delete
  4. What type of exercise are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, kg! Right now, I am doing no exercise. I do some speed walking at work, but not a lot. I have heard that about 80% of your progress comes from what you eat and only 20% (if that) from your exercise.

      Sometime soon, I want to start my resistance training again, but I have not started yet.

      Delete
  5. Hi Rebecca,

    I started eating low carb recently and I think I am going to try and start nutritional ketosis. Your blog is very inspiring! I am namely interested in seeing how it will affect my pain level (I have chronic migraines), but I also have some weight to lose so I'll be tracking that as well. I am curious however how I am going to manage eating THAT much fat every day....I'm not sure I could choke down an "oil cocktail" first thing in the morning. Did you just get used to it over time? I know that I eat way too much protein right now and not enough fat, because I do log what I eat daily. However there I have a lot of food sensitivities that make my migraines worse (nuts, avocados, possibly coconut milk, and possibly dairy) so I know this diet is going to be tough for me to accomplish. If nutritional ketosis DOES work to lessen my migraine pain, however, maybe my body won't react so sensitively to those foods and I'll be able to incorporate them at least minimally. Really am not sure at this point....Let me know if you have any advice or ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rainey! Good for you for trying to take control of your situation! As far as the "choking down" goes, it is not unpleasant drinking the oil cocktail. It's very tasty, and the lemon juice takes away that oily taste and consistency, at least, in my opinion.

      As far as advice goes, I think you are on the right track. Just jump in, and be sure to keep me posted on how it's going for you, okay?

      Delete
    2. Okay good to know that the lemon helps with that. Thank you!

      Delete