Sunday, August 12, 2012

NUTRITIONAL KETOSIS - WEEK 5 RESULTS

It's been five weeks since I started my experiment with nutritional ketosis.  I am eating higher fat, lower protein and very low carb.

Here are some of my charts:



In summary, in the past 5 weeks:
I lost 1-1/8" around my midriff, 2-1/4" around my waist, 1" around my navel and 7/8" around my hips.
I lost 4.8 pounds on the scale (lost 6.5 pounds of body fat and gained 1.7 pounds of lean mass).
I went down 3.3 percentage points on my body fat.
I went down 0.039 points on my waist-to-hip ratio.

Although I ate pretty much the same way for the whole week, I only tracked my food for five days.  If you want to know exactly what I am eating, look here, and then you can click the page numbers at the bottom to see each individual day.

Here are the averages of what I ate this past week:

1560 calories
138.8g fat (80.1%)
58.2g protein (14.9%)
19.6g carbs (5%)

This was my goal, and I was not too far off:

1539 calories
135g fat (79%)
54g protein (14%)
27g carbs (7%)

I will continue to eat this way for the next week.

I tested my blood ketones one time this past week because the strips are so expensive, and I can see that eating this way is keeping me in nutritional ketosis.  In order to stay there, my level should stay between 1.0 and 3.0.  My average of all the times I have tested is 2.2.  Here are my results since I started testing:


 Because I can see that the way I am eating is keeping my blood sugar stable, I am not testing it every day.  I did test two times this past week.  Here are my results since I started testing, and these numbers are excellent:


I am continuing my experiment.  I am in nutritional ketosis, and my blood sugar is normal.  I am not hungry during the day, and I think I have hit on a good amount of fat to be eating.
 

2 comments:

  1. Found your blog from Jimmy Moore's site. I lost 50 pounds using HCG, gained 30 back eating paleo. I'm dairy, grain, wheat, fruit free--and totally depressed! I think my metabolism is shot. So, I'm going to try the ketosis experiment Jimmy is trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did hCG, too, and gained my weight right back as soon as I started eating again. For me, just "eating Paleo" was not enough. I need to stay really low carb to lose weight, and Paleo is not necessarily low carb.

      I encourage you to get a ketone meter and see how it goes. Be prepared to cut the carbs way down and increase the fat way up. The key that Jimmy and I have found is that we were eating too much protein. You need to limit that to get the results you are
      looking for.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete