Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I SLIPPED ON THE ICE AND GOT HURT AGAIN

I tore a tendon in my shoulder in December and I have been in physical therapy and not allowed to do my weight lifting.

Last night, on my way out of physical therapy, I slipped on the ice and wrenched my shoulder really severely trying to catch myself. The pain was exquisite, and I was sure that I had severed my tendon or dislocated my shoulder. It hurt all the way from the top of my shoulder to the ends of my fingers, and my thumb was going numb.

It was late, and the door locked behind me, so I could not get back into the doctor's office. My phone was in my car, so I could not call for help. I could not get to my car because the parking lot was solid ice.

I stood there holding my arm and feeling slightly panicky for about ten minutes, banging on the door every minute or so.

I finally started walking across the snow, so I would not slip again, and then a woman in scrubs came out the door. I yelled to her to stop, so she would not fall on the ice, and I told her that I had fallen and was hurt and needed to get back in.

She told me it was too late to get back in, and that the phones had been turned off, so I could not call them.

She then walked away from me, got in her car and drove away.

I walked across the snow, got in my car and drove home, and I iced my arm a few times before bed.

This morning, my arm feels better, but not as good as it did before I fell.

The doctor's office called me this morning and told me that they will deal with the woman who did not try to help me.

I have PT again tomorrow, and they will assess my shoulder and see if I have done more damage.

Not happy.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch! I hope you did not do any new damage to your shoulder. You are to precious to be all bunged up.
    It is hard to believe how little compassion some so called medical professionals have for people in pain. I just don't even know what to think about that!
    Hang in there.
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stephanie! It seems like it is feeling better as the say goes on. Maybe it was just badly wrenched and not further torn.

    ReplyDelete