Friday, May 22, 2009

MAY 22, 2009 - STARTING WEIGHT TRAINING TODAY


I finally had my orientation with the trainer at the gym I recently joined. At my doctor's orders, I am starting weight training, using the machines.

Bill and I went through each machine and learned how to use it. We've belonged to a gym before, so we're not unfamiliar. Pretty simple. They have a chart that I can carry around with me to record my weight and reps, so I won't have to carry around my sad little scrap of paper like at the last place, which shall remain nameless (Cardinal Fitness).

I'm not going into it happily, though. Because of my past lack of testosterone, working out with weights has never increased my muscle mass. It turns out that you can work out hard with weights for months on end, and if your body has no testosterone, you will not build muscle. So it has always been a discouraging attempt in the past.

But now I have my testosterone implants, and that should make all the difference. And yet... bad attitude going in. (sigh)

On the way home from the orientation, I told Bill that I hesitate to start, because I'm afraid I will not be able to stick to it for the rest of my life!!! I can't imagine having to go there two or three times a week from now on!!!

Here is what I am hoping: If the weight lifting actually works this time and I build muscle and get toned up and look great, it will make me want to keep going. Maybe the reason I don't want to go is all tangled up in the failures to build muscle in the past.

I told the trainer that my doctor wants me to put on 10 pounds of muscle and lose another 29 pounds of fat. She said I should not do what most women do, which is a little bit of weight with 8 to 12 reps. That is a way to get toned and not necessarily build a lot of additional muscle. She said I should do heavier weights and 5 to 6 reps, and really push myself harder than normal. However, I should start slow for the first few times and then start doing the heavier stuff.

I will try what she says. If all of this works, I may be posting that new bikini shot after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment